Pesticides are chemical substances that work to eradicate pests on plants. Farmers use pesticides on their fields to protect their farms from plant and animal pests such as fungi, weeds, bacteria, insects or rodents. Thus, they expect to get increased crop yields and more food are available to be enjoyed by many people.
However, in reality, the use of pesticides also bring negative effects on the plant itself as well as in humans. Pesticide residues are often absorbed into the plant through the roots and transmitted to the stem, leaves and fruit. As a result, people who eat the crops can be ensured also take the pesticide residues. The effect of this is the emergence of health problems such as nervous system disorders, cancer, hormone disruption, etc. Not only that, the remnants of pesticides absorbed in the soil and water can also harm other organisms such as plankton and fish more.
Without realizing it, we often eat the crops that contain a lot of pesticides, such as apples, celery, peaches, strawberries, pears, spinach, and potatoes source. Therefore, we should from now pay great attention to choosing foods that are free from pesticides. Of course it is not easy, but if we are serious about doing so, nothing is impossible. Wikipedia Image – Health effects of pesticides
Tips to Avoid Pesticides in Your Food:
1. Choose toxic-free and non pesticide food, or organic food. There are now widely available organic foods ranging from meat, milk, eggs, animal products, animal food produced without artificial and unnatural process. There are also organic fruits and vegetables, which are produced without pesticides.
2. Choose products that are not derived from ponds fish. Usually, fish caught directly from lakes and rivers are not contaminated by mercury or other heavy metal materials.
3. After buying meat and organic food, the next important step is to make sure that all the food is free of toxins. Soak the food in mixture of water and vinegar to reduce the surface residue for 5 to 10 minutes, then wash thoroughly. For food that is thin skinned just soak it for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Cook properly organic meat and food. Use high temperature when you cook meat in accordance with the regulations in the meat wrapper.
5. You also can avoid the poison in the food through the equipment you use. Do not use sticky surface cookwares. Do not cook foods or water in aluminum pan. The safest cookware is made from iron. With this cooker, substances that are mixed in the food at most is only iron, which is useful to combat anemia.
6. Make sure that all the cooking process and preparation are clean. Be sure to wash cooking utensils clean before using it to cook other food. You can use vinegar as a natural germ killer.